Farm animals are often used in agricultural research and genetically modified in order to increase yields.
The animals currently used for food and fibre already produce to their capacity, and current intensive housing facilities fall very short of fulfilling adequate welfare standards. The manipulation of these animals to produce an even higher yield is merely a further assault on their already exploited bodies.
As per the examples below, they are also used for human-related studies (despite being the incorrect species).
HRA Farm Animal Case Studies
- 33 pregnant sheep subjected to injections – then had their fetuses delivered prematurely – and hearts of the fetuses removed whilst still alive : Tare, M, Bensley, J, Moss, T, Lingwood, B, Kim, M, Barton, S, Kluckow, M, Gill, A, De Matteo, R..
- Pregnant sheep and their fetuses subjected to surgery and then killed for heart cell enlargement experiment : Wang, K, Zhang, L, McMillen, I, Botting, K, Duffield, J, Zhang, S, Suter, C, Brooks, D, & M..
- Pregnant sheep deprived of oxygen, subjected to surgery, and then killed while still pregnant for asthma experiment : Clifton, V.L., Moss, T.J.M., Wooldridge, A.L., Gatford, K.L., Liravi5, B., Kim, D., Muhlhausler,..
- Day old chicks used to study the effect of Memantine on memory : Samartgis, J. R., Schachte, L., Hazi, Agnes., Crowe, S. F. (2012). Memantine facilitates memory ..
- Shaking Lambs to Death! : Neurological changes in a lamb model of non-accidental head injury (the shaken baby syndrome) ..
- Breast Implants on Pigs : Subclinical (Biofilm) Infection Causes Capsular Contracture in a Porcine Model following Augment..
- Obesity Studies on Pregnant Sheep : This experiment was conducted at the University of Adelaide in South Australia, and supported by..
- Pregnant Ewes Used in Alcohol Experiments at the Research Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide : Although evidence shows that consumption of alcohol during pregnancy impairs the fetus and leads..